Comments Welcome Here

Comments Welcome Here
Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Blog Communities

My Pagerank

My Blog List

NETWORKED BLOGS

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Watch Out For those Spoiled Onions

I bet many of us don't know about this. But we should be aware.

I am used to including fresh onion in my sandwiches especially when I prepare Tuna , Chicken or Egg Sandwiches. My yaya is also saving left parts of onion in the fridge whenever she doesn't use a whole at a time. Until I have read this article forwarded on my inbox by my colleague. This made me think twice. I think from now on I have to buy smaller onions in the future.

Fact about Onion: ( from an article I have read written by Zola Gorgon-author of several cookbooks)


Watch out for those spoiled onions.

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, makers
of mayonnaise. Mullins is huge, and is owned by 11 brothers and sisters
in the Mullins family. My friend, Jeanne, is the CEO.
Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I
learned from a chemist.

The guy who gave us our tour is named Ed. He's one of the brothers. Ed
is a chemistry expert and is involved in developing most of the sauce
formula. He's even developed sauce formula for McDonald's.
Keep in mind that Ed is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone
asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always
worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you..
Ed said that all commercially-made Mayo is completely safe.
"It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it,
but it's not really necessary." He explained that the pH in mayonnaise
is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment.
He then talked about the quint-essential picnic, with the bowl of potato
salad sitting on the table and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when
someone gets sick.

Ed says that when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the
officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those
onions came from (in the potato salad). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise
(as long as it's not homemade Mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's
probably the onions, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES. He
explained, onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked
onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion. He
says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in
your refrigerator. It's already contaminated enough just by being cut
open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch
out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!) Ed
says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll
probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your
sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist
potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any
commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.
So, how's that for news? Take it for what you will. I (the author) am
going to be very careful about my onions from now on. For some reason, I
see a lot of credibility coming from a chemist and a company, that
produces millions of pounds of mayonnaise every year.'

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize
onions.
This info is very helpful. It is never a waste of time to watch out for our health and cling only the practices which would make us live healthier each day.


Photobucket
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: